Thursday, June 26, 2008

Make it Sto-o-o-o-o-o-p!!!!!


So yesterday, after I turned off the computer due to thunderstorm activity, I decided to go sit next to the Mister for a while and pretend to watch Fox News with him. He promptly fell asleep. Neil Cavuto came on. I hate Cavuto. He invites 2 people at a time to talk the pro and con about assorted (sordid?) pressing issues of the day(to him, at least), gives them 2 1/2 minutes on the air then talks over them while they argue with each other. Holy shit, that's irritating. If he has one person on he just talks over that one person and argues with them all by himself. After 25 seconds of this I became airborne, grabbed the remote and turned the TV off. (TV OFF??? WOW WHAT A CONCEPT) The Mister promptly woke up and said, "Why'd ya turn the TV off? And then went back to sleep.
Meanwhile Layla the dog is on my lap quivering in fear of the thunder. I keep a small hand towel nearby for just such an occasion. It's her "thunder towel." I draped it over her head, got her to lay down next to me and she promptly relaxed and fell asleep. I watched and listened to the beautiful rainstorm for a while.
I took the rare opportunity of silence, and not being asked to "come'ere and watch this commercial, it's funny." to finish up my homework for my Wednesday night Bible study. My Small Group Posse and I decided to pause between chapters of Romans (we are slogging through, but taking time to learn, understand and appreciate) to define and discuss grace. Specifically God's grace.
We tend to use the word without understanding what it really means. We all have a general idea, perhaps, but that's about it. The basic definition of Grace is: Favor or kindness shown without regard to the worth or the merit of the one who receives it and in spite of what they might deserve. Grace is associated with mercy, love, goodness, kindness, compassion, patience and truth.
Our ability to not take grace for granted, and to trust in the mercy and favor of God, through Jesus Christ, even while it is undeserved, is an abundantly important part of our faith. It is key to salvation. Check it out. Romans. Next week we will have our very own Neil Cavuto discussion about Adam, and whether he was created with a sinful nature. I thought we were going to be discussing that last night, so I am ready! I know the correct answer, but I'm not saying until next Wednesday, so you are going to have to sit on the edge of your seats until then. Check it out. Genesis.
Got to go get my day started. Well, on track anyway. Thanks again for taking time to check on me. Let me know what you think. There's a little "comments" section just below this post. Click on it. Say somethin!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! It's a stitch.

Rainey Lynn

Lavinia said...

Hi, being in Canada I am not too familiar with U.S. politics (aside from the presidential level). And I dont' know this show. Having said that, purely by coincidence I was reading Romans this morning!

Also, I've posted the answers to the quiz on my blog. Thanks for giving it a try!