Monday, March 16, 2009

Shiny!

Oooh Shiny!


Blicky is finally out of the sick bed! He ever so graciously thanked Li'l Cindi in Saturday's post for stopping by with words of encouragement.


The inspiringly impudent L'il Cindi
.

The Blick then went on to offer some incredibility intelligent advice on how to get out of
sticky conversations by saying things like "What is that shiny thing over there...?
.
This all hit home, because I have always been easily distracted by shiny stuff. Why, as a young child I once stepped on my own fingers when I stopped in mid run to pick up a shiny gum wrapper. It doesn't matter that I was being chased by a rabid mongrel dog at the time. It was shiny!

.
I was especially inattentive at church. Talk about shiny stuff: candles, lights, gold, stained glass windows. Oh, is mass over already? Really? Did I go to communion? ....Ouch!
.



Shiny!

.
The Mister and I toddled off to Bed Bath and Beyond today. We were in the service line - he wanted to exchange something that he bought last year. He had neither original packaging nor receipt so we were there for a while. Meanwhile, something shiny caught my eye. Really shiny! Glittery! There was a whole box of "Non-Toxic Bouncy Glitter Balls" Gold, red, lavender... lots of colors! It would be like having a snow globe without any people in it and you could shake it and bounce it off the floor and it wouldn't break into a bizillion pieces and no one would smack you for it. After checking out several colors I decided on a lavender one.

.

The Mister sees what I am up to and he just gives me an impudent look. I asked the cashier if I could pay for it right here at the service window. She says yes of course so I say to the Mister "She says I can buy it. He laughed and paid the $3.

.

So I'm thinking, this could be a life saver if most people are mesmerized by shiny stuff as I am. Just keep something shiny with you when you are walking through empty parking garages and vacant buildings. Like one of these balls. Then if someone looks the least bit threatening you just toss the ball off to the side and they're all "ooooh shiiiinyyyy".

.

Heeeeeres .......oh! Shiny!

.
Just think how differently things would have turned out in The Shining if Wendy had flashed a mirror at Jack? Or better yet caught the light on that huge butcher knife she had in the bathroom with her while Jack busy axing down the door. She could have handed him the mirror and walked right past him. No REDRUM!.

.

I mesmerized the Mister by making this shiny strawberry jam


.

It even tastes shiny!

19 comments:

Lanny said...

I think homemade berry jam taste shinny too. Jack, is one of my favorite actors, he is good! First movie of his I saw - Cinderella Liberty with my big brother.

Jeannette StG said...

The jam looks perfect - last week we had strawberries with poundcake and whipped cream - so yummy!

Marie Reed said...

Blick was sick.. poor thing I'll have to go visit! I was a miserable sickie girl too this pass week!

I'll tell Catherine about the Error messages. There is a great blogger girl named Nathalie and I Always get an error message when I try to comment over there. SHe gets other comments so I don't realy understand the problemo!

soulbrush said...

i am going to call you li'l ms magpie from now on...what a purely gorgeous morning it is here in london today. fabadabadoo (another great word).hugs.

Pat said...

Shiny, shiny. I could use a bit of shine here in Belgrade...even the sun has been refusing.

Jeanne Estridge said...

I got a kick out of Blicky's post, too -- nice riff!

Debby said...

I've heard tell that they used to trap raccoons by making a circle of nails partially pounded in and bent. You place a shiny object in the bottom of it, and secure it to the ground. The raccoon will stick his little paw in to grab the shiny thing, and once he makes a fist, his paw becomes to large to come back out of the trap. Legend has it that the coon will not let go of the object to free himself.

Sounds like you, or maybe Lavinia around a precious gem on one of our little adventures.

Nihal said...

There's nothing like homemade strawberry jam on Sunday's breakfast table at home. It's my jam-loving tradition, and I wonder if there's anyone who doesn't love this shiny jam on earth?
Looks so delicious...

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Must have Shiny Delish Jam!
I like shiny and am easily distracted. It would be impudent of me not to recognize my zealousness for all things shiny.

Kat Mortensen said...

Homemade strawberry jam is heaven on toast or ice-cream or anything really.
I like shiny ear-rings and shiny wrappers on chocolate.

Kat

Lavinia said...

I've taken a shine to this post. I found it so reflective. You really went in depth on your subject matter, rather than just putting a gloss on things. A glittering intelligence was revealed, through a glass darkly. Quite illuminating.

blognut said...

Ha! I am TOTALLY distracted by shiny things AT ALL TIMES!!! Seriously, you can call me off of the subject with a piece of aluminum foil if you want to. It's a terrible thing, really.

MuseSwings said...

Debby - Bwahahahaha! ha!

Lavy - this is exactly why you light up our lives!

Sparky said...

Here musey, musey, musey ... something shiny! Me ... Sparky! Is that why we gravitate towards each other ... you a moth to the spark?! ha ha Soooo impudent but enlightening.

And we're having the shiny jam when ... ?? tee hee ♥ ∞

Blicky Kitty said...

Hahaha shiny! Thanks for the shout out Lil' Cindi! You're worth getting out of my lavender scented sick bed for. ***throws her some shiny mardi gras beads from church***

Just remind the Mister how shiny that new gadget is that he's been eyeing. "Ooohh, noisy loud thing-a-ma-watzit from the home improvement store." Am I wrong? Ginger from Gilligan's Island is further proof that men love shiny too!

steviewren said...

The sun was shiny today and I was mesmerized by it. I've been in a good mood all day. I need more shiny objects in my life.

ChaChaneen said...

Mmmm, I'll take some of that yummy jam you got cooking there! It would be delicious on my scones! I wish we were neighbors so I could trade with you. You lucky gal, all that jam loading up your shelves!

RamblingMother said...

Stopping by from SITS! I am easily distracted by shiny things.

sandy said...

HAHAHAH, me and shiny get along...as all my cheap ass costume jewelry will testify too....and I don't even wear jewelry anymore.