Sunday, March 8, 2009

My Bags Are Packed - I'm Ready To Go!


Tomorrow we take the Orient Express from Paris to Istanbul! I have my luggage at the door and my driver will be around with the car in just a moment. But first I thought I'd show you just a few of the lovely Haute Couture things I have packed for our trip.


I'll be traveling to Paris in my silk Christian Dior suit from his 1947 spring and summer line.

For sightseeing on chilly days I have my Paul Poiret Day Coat, 1919, silk with white leather applique.



A lovely day suit by Jean Pateau , 1937,- wool gabardine with silk grosgrain inserts.



And this lovely 1939 Madeleine Vionette gown made of pale pink lame' with black silk lace and velvet applique. Last trip I wore a many crinolined skirt that just does not lend itself to traveling gracefully through the train. It ended up in Sir Bradley Brummel's baked Alaska and Lady Chinaberry's cafe au lait. She was not amused.


Speaking of food, I hear Eggs Benedict is one of the most popular items on the breakfast menu!






The roast game with lemon and rosemary is one of the most delectable dishes of the dinner fare.






And the turbot with green sauce is divine!







Ohhhh! Don't forget duchess potatoes! I have gotten the recipe from Henri and am happy to share:
.
Duchess Potatoes a la Orient Express
.
2 c. mashed potatoes
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp. milk
2 tbsp. butter
Melted butter
.
Combine mashed potatoes, egg yolks, milk and 2 tablespoons butter. Beat until smooth. Turn into pastry bag fitted with star tip. Press out into 6 rosettes onto greased baking sheet (if no pastry bag is available, make 6 mounds of the mixture and use the top of a knife or spoon to press each mound into a pleasing pattern). Then brush potatoes with melted butter. Broil until heated through and lightly browned. Makes 6 servings.
.
I am so excited! I will be at the station early to make sure all of our last minute details - and Mr. Peck - are taken care of. See you tomorrow for an exciting adventure.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Sunday Lil' Cindy! I lurve your gown selection! Looking forward to tomorrow!!!

Janeen

MuseSwings said...

I am too, Janeen! See you at the station!

Sparky said...

Dang it Muse! Now I'm hungry. [lol] Wow, does that look good. [drool] If I promise to behave (no hanky or pankys) can I ride in your car? Huh? Pleeezzee!? Hercule Poirot is coming along to watch my jewels ... wait, that didn't come out right. You know, like in jewelry. I think we need to keep an eye on Lavinia Lightfingers. [snort] :o) ♥ ∞

Annelie said...

Looks like you are ready for a fantastic trip! I'm looking forward to it!

soulbrush said...

indeed, your gowns are exquisite. senita and joe have packed their rucksack and are very excited too. i will be looking after the quads. safe journey....

MuseSwings said...

Sparky! Of course you can share a room with me. Tomorrow will be quite an adventure, Snark. Looking forward to having Senita and Joe along - I have a sunny room reserved for them, Soulbrush!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Amazing, the food, the clothes, the luggage, just beautiful, Marvelous Muse, Thank you for sharing.

Beth Niquette said...

Wonderful blog! I enjoyed every photo. What glorious clothing, fabulous foods...my goodness!

Blicky Kitty said...

Oh I LOVE your events! I'll try to make it over tomorrow but I'm a very sicky kitty.

steviewren said...

I'm busy stuffing the last of my furs into my steamer trunk. The limo is waiting outside my door to rush me to the station. I'll see you in the morning! I'm ready for adventure!

Kat Mortensen said...

All of my clothes are laid out for your interest, Lady Cynthia. I'm working on borrowing some jewels for the trip, but so far, the estate of Princess Grace isn't budging. I'll keep you posted!

Katchatrainian

Jeannette StG said...

After this trip I need to lose all the weight I gained with these dinners! But to have a Poirot on an actual train or plane trip would be quite amusing and intriguing!

Lavinia said...

Moosey! I have boarded the train! REPEAT---LAVINIA IS NOW ABOARD! Break out the champagne and dust for fingerprints!!!

sandy said...

oh you posted a recipe for those potatoes..gonna have to try these.

Love that one dress, the dark/black one!