Monday, October 13, 2008

A Ghostly Story

There is nothing like a good ghost story. The kind that makes chills run up and down your spine. You won't go in the basement for weeks after. Or walk into a room with the lights off. Or get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. Or get in your car without checking the back seat first. You hide under the covers so the boogie man won't get you. You listen for things that go bump in the night. Now that is a good ghost story!
There were two good stories that I remember hearing as a teenager. You've heard them too! They keep making the rounds with each new generation. Everyone says they are true and it happened to someone they know - or a friend knows or a friend of a friend knows.
In the first story, a woman is on a journey. She stops at a gas station in a small town, goes in to pay for her gas and then takes off again. She is alone in her car on a dark country road. It's raining and dark and the wind is howling. She looks in her rear view mirror and sees she is being followed by a car with a lone man in it. He's flashing his lights at her. He attempts to move alongside her car. She speeds up, he speeds up, she turns off on another road, he turns behind her. She's scared and alone. Finally after many miles she sees an open gas station. She pulls in and runs from the car. The other car pulls in, the man jumps out and grabs her. As he does, she looks in her car and sees a man crouched in the back seat. "I saw him get in your car at that other gas station. I've been trying to get your attention all this time.
The second story is the one about the two teenagers on a date. The guy pulls off the road into a wooded area with the idea of spending some time making out. The car radio is on. A news alert is broadcast: There is an insane killer on the loose. His most identifiable feature is he has a hook instead of a right hand. The girl is nervous and wants to leave. The guy tries to convince her to stay. He locks the car doors and tells her they will be safe. She gets upset and insists on leaving. He gets mad, slams the car into drive and squeals out onto the road. He doesn't speak to her all the way back to her house. He stops the car, gets out and walks around the car to let her out and finds a hook stuck in the door handle.


There was an abandoned wooded property in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, known as Gaylord Manor. All that remained was the foundation of the huge old building. Supposedly the hook in the car door handle happened here. Every teenager in the area knew the story. The place was scary and haunted and, of course, attracted us all like flies to a shoo fly pie.


Four girlfriends and I were out cruising one late autumn night. We'd already made the rounds of all of the drive-in restaurants on Woodward Avenue. Nothing was happening, we were bored. Someone mentioned Gaylord Manor. Scary! We decided we needed to see it for ourselves. We drove down the small country road next to the manor and then pulled in to the grounds. We could see the foundation in the headlights. Everything around it was pitch black. None of us were brave enough to get out of the car. Or even open a car window. Laurie, the driver, left the headlights on and the motor running.


I had just recently heard a good scary story and after getting everyone's excited agreement preceded to tell it. It had all of the details, suspense and drama of a good ghost story. Everyone listened intently, barely breathing, eyes wide in anticipation. Something really BAD was about to happen. It was right there, just a sentence or two away. I could see Jackie grab Kathy's arm. Pat was biting her fingernails. Laurie was staring at me. Wasn't blinking, was barely breathing. I continued with the story: The girl in the story felt around in her purse for her lighter. She pulled it out and lit the flame and she said......(And then I screamed bloody murder) It was perfect - they all grabbed each other and screamed - they were properly terrorized. And then they all realized they had just fallen victim to a punch line. I think they call them punch lines because Laurie and Patty each punched me in the shoulder and then we all started laughing.


Do you have a scary story? Have you told spooky tales in the dark with just a flashlight to share among your friends? Did the headless horseman creep you out? Was there a boogie man in your attic? Were you ever scared to go ......down those .......creaky .......old .......damp ...dark ......

....creaky ......cobwebby .......cellar stairs??????????? You need to share!!!! What really scares you?

43 comments:

Debby said...

Here in our neck of the woods, we have Tamarack Swamp where ghostly things are reported to happen. I've never seen a thing, but the kids have all scared themselves stupid there at night.

Tess Kincaid said...

Okay...you've inspired me. I have a few hair raising manor experiences to tell. I'll post on it soon! :P

MuseSwings said...

Oooooh the Tamarack Swamp! That sounds nice and scary! "scared themselves stupid" ia a hoot.

Willow! Excellent - I would love to hear a scary story from the Manor.

Lavinia said...

Yes, I have heard both of those legendary scary stories....first heard of them years ago. I used to be able to read scary/ghost stories but I can't anymore, give me the willies. I find "the Omen" one of the scariest movies ever and while I love Gregory Peck and feel compelled to watch it for that reason, (on occasion), the truth is I cannot watch it alone and I cannot watch it past the half way point. Too scary even though I know exactly how its going to turn out!!

I happen to live near what is arguably the most haunted site in Toronto, didja know??

I can't watch horror movies anymore either.

steviewren said...

I'm too scared to read this post...I have to live alone and I don't want to hear the things that go bump in the night...I have to go down to the basement, my washer is there, I can't afford to keep all the lights on and I'm over 50 so you know I have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Ah yes, don't you just love October tales??

Debby said...

Stevie - keep a little flashlight and run screaming to the bathroom. Boogie men instinctively run from screaming women with lights. Dead serious. Er. Pretty sure. I think. Maybe.

MuseSwings said...

Lavinia, you are required to tell scary tales of the haunted place near you. The rest of us - except for Stevie -are already sitting around the campfire waiting.

Stevie, as long as you keep a night light on and slide your dresser in front of the closet door you'll be fine. It's okay to read this post, but whatever you do, don't read it backwards!

Pamela, the best stories are told in October.

Yeah, Debbie, that's the ticket - they run from screaming women - see Stevie, you can sleep peacfully now!

A Wild Thing said...

While living in Florida two years ago, I was living alone, with Scratchy the dog, on a street where there were no other houses, in Placid Lakes near a nature preserve. I never shut my blinds cause I had no neighbors...so I was going to bed one night and I threw Scratchy in bed ahead of me and she immediatly jumped back into my arms, like the creature in the Alien, she was attached to my face, scared to death. She didn't make a sound, but had nose in the air, obviously sniffing something, whatever it was, scared this tuff lil' terrier to death and she has never been the same, very jumpy. I never did see what it was, as I found no tracks the next day anywhere around the house, but the motion light went off and on all night. It was the longest night of my life. From that point on I slept with a loaded gun under the pillow and wasn't afraid to use it. Sorry, but I lived in the mountains of Colorado too, you just felt safer when living alone.

Did I mention it scared the crap out of me too...I've seen the locals...ha(sorry)...scarey and true story! And the blinds were shut from that point on until my brother from California moved in with me...we were brave in pairs.

sharon

Blicky Kitty said...

Ooo scary story Sharon!

Hmmm I'm have to think of a good scary one to post but here's a little creepy but goodie. When I was living in Tuscany in my early twenties there was a serial killer on the loose. You can google Il Mostro for the background. Horrible stuff! At the time they had posters all over saying "occhio ragazzi," watch out kids, violence is blind.

Anyway, my boyfriend and I used to drive through the Apennines into emilia-romagna to go to the fabulous discotheques they had there. So I overindulged while we were out one night which forced us to pull over to the roadside. You were always warned not to do this at the time.

After a few minutes, we started hearing sounds from the mountainside above us. It sounded like a woman screaming a long, drawn-out scream. It must have lasted a good 15 seconds. At first we thought we were imagining things, but we heard it again and again. After a while we heard a man's voice join in with the same long, drawn-out, blood curdling scream. We ran back to the car and sped home frantically. The next day we learned that we had parked below a psychiatric hospital.

Lavinia said...

BLicky Kitty's story just gave me the shivers! What a story!!!

MuseSwings said...

Sharon what a scary story! You've got me spooked - I am closing all the blinds as I type this. Thank you for scharing! Stevie - do not read Sharon's story!

Blicky - you were living in Tuscany! How wonderful - except for the serial killer part. Your stop at the side of the road must have scared you half to death!

I'd better get some more wood - the campfire is getting low...

Lavinia said...

Muse-swings, on the one hand, it is comforting to burrow beneath this blanket and share it with you as we terrify ourselves around this campfire. On the other hand, I sincerely hope that is you clutching my ankle, because if it isnt'.....EEEEKKK!!!!!

MuseSwings said...

I am sorry to say it is not me clutching your ankle ....eek...Stevie - what are you doing under the blanket??? That is you, Stevie.....because if it isn't.....Yaaaaaaaaa!

Lavinia said...

Will whoever is digging their knee into my back please stop it? As for the whole stevie/ankle/clutch issue, I have my eyes squeezed shut so muse swings you'll have to advise me! Muse swings? Are you there?? Muse swings?! Hey, stevie, is that Musewings retreating quickly away with the last remaining flashlight?????? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!

MuseSwings said...

Sorry Lavinia - I was just ckecking my phone - I got a text message from Lady Flossella Fortuna
She says: CRAZED ANKLE CLUTCHING BACK STABBING EX-BUTLER IS ON THE LOOSE _LOVES CAMPFIRES AND WOOL BLANKIES. My advice - RUN!

Lavinia said...

I'M RUNNING LIKE A JACKRABBIT WITH A FOX ON ITS HEELS!!!! AS FAST AS I CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blicky Kitty said...

Um I thought it was the door-to-door Manolo Blahnik salesman stopping by to give free samples.

Debby said...

Definately invite him in and pay no attention to crazed look on his face or the ominous clinking of cutlery from the bag at his side. After all he is holding a stack of shoeboxes in his hands, right, Blicky? Make sure about the shoes THEN let him in would be my advice.

Shelley said...

I am going to make extra sure my car doors are locked when I'm going down dark scary roads - wait - i'm not going to go down those scary dark roads anymore!!
Muse - I heard that Michigan Hook story my whole life growing up -thanks for the memories! I think...

MuseSwings said...

Blicky - I thought you were had the last watch on the campfire! It's awfully dark out here now and there are empty shoe boxes all over the place. What have you ladies done with Grin Slickens the shoe salesman? All he did was say he wanted to have us all for dinner!

Debby, those new shoes look great, but tromping around in the woods with those strappy little sandals is death defying!

Shelly - tell all the birdies to keep their doors locked as well!

Lavinia, you may come down out of that tree now! I'm off to get more firewood so I can make "tea".

Lavinia said...

Cynthia, there's a cramp in my leg, a crick in my neck, and a family of sparrows nesting in my hair. I been up in this tree waayyyy too long!

Tess Kincaid said...

I posted some of my scaries for you, Cynthia! Come on over if you are brave enough.

These cellar steps look just like ours, BTW.

soulbrush said...

haven't got time to read this today, will be back tomorrow, but don't have any ghost stories, i don't believe in them...

Debby said...

I have an answer! What scares me? Holy cow, those flying monkeys! Anybody else afraid of the flying monkeys? *shiver*

MuseSwings said...

Soulbrush - I'm not sure if I beleive in them - if I ever meet one, I will!

Debby - those flying monkies give me the creeps! Laurel and Hardy have a very old movie called The March of the Wooden Soldiers. It takes place in toy land. There are some monstery things in that movie that scare me too!

Lavinia said...

What about those evil monkeys in the Wizard of Oz! Is that what Deb is referring to? And what about that wicked witch? She really scared the daylights out of me when I was small. Gee, it does sound as though I spend my childhood in one long state of terror doesn't it!?....LOL....

MuseSwings said...

It's a wonder we survived without twitcy tremors - but I can only speak for myself! How bout you?
The camprire needs stoking and someone has to go far into the woods to collect twigs!

Blicky Kitty said...

Oh everything is fine here at the campfire. No worries! Grin Slickens has outfitted me with a lovely pair of kicky mules and has gone off ito get a free Vivian Westwood gown for me and a whetstone, whatever that is. Must be a high fashion term.

He assured me that the gag I'm wearing and the rope around my ankles is the rage this season in Milan. I know you might be feeling a little jealous right now ladies, but just try and be happy for me.

MuseSwings said...

I'd say that gag looks fashionable, but Grin Slickens has blindfolded me with a lovely scarf from Puccis' fall collection and I'm tied to a tree. He says he just needs to keep an eye on the tree, so I'm OK with that. Could someone roast me a marshmallow, please? Maybe he needs that whetstone to keep all of our credit cards from blowing away. He piled them up over there on Lavinia's blanket.

Lavinia said...

Note from Lavinia left on the blanket reads as follows: Big mistake to leave the credit cards in my possession. I've absonded to Saks Fifth Avenue. So long suckers!

MuseSwings said...

Texting Lavinia: Buy me that loden green cashmere throw advertised in Sunday's paper. Use Willow's card. THX BF MUSE

Blicky Kitty said...

Texting Lavinia: Hope this new Tory Birch shift doesn't make my butt look....Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh no Grin doooon't!!!

Thanks Cynthia -- gave you a spooky shout out over at Blicky's mansion of HORROR. I'm going over to Willow's to hide. Sure hope there's nothing scary over there.

A Cuban In London said...

So, this is where it started!

Your two stories are scary, SCARY! Especially the one about the two youngsters on a date.

Excellent post.

Greetings from London.

Debby said...

THIS IS SO NOT FAIR!!!!!!!

Blicky Kitty gets shoes and fashion accessories from Milan, and the man has even gone off to find a whetstone? Probably some sparkling joo-well. When I see Grin Slickens, he's getting a piece of my mind, to be sure.
Curse you Blicky Kitty! I'm going to go comfort myself with shopping. As soon as I find my credit card. "Laaaaaaaa-viiiiiiiii-neeeeeeeeeeee-yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! YOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
*scans the skies nervously for flying monkeys....*

Lavinia said...

Text from Lavinia: Bot loden throw, tbirch shift, arplane tckts to fiji. maxd ot cards--sory.

sandy said...

What a fun scary read. I gotta think. I'm sure I have stories, but just no memory..darn.

now that's scary!!

MuseSwings said...

Text To Lavina: Long as u got me a wndw seat im ok. Got plnty more crds at home. Meet me at LAX 4 flite. Tah! BTW - bring "tea"

Sandy, I just know it you sit really still and concentrate of scary stuff you'll come up with a great story.
I heard a screech owl last night!

Margaret Ann said...

My stories were your stories...almost word for word!!!...even to the one about catching friend off guard and screaming!!! I find it amazing how similar all our lives really are...not ever meeting...having different paths in life...yet sharing some common experiences and memories...kind of neat and lind of spooky in the same way...LOL :)

I love the photography in this post...That stairway/pathway in the woods was outstanding! Very interesting and adventuresome!

It was fun to stop by and turn backsome nostalgic pages of time with you! :)

Debby said...

Re-reading the comments, I noticed that you got the Pucci scarf?!!! What am I? Chopped liver? What does Grin Slickens find so fascinating about Muse and Blicky?
And doggone that Lavinia. I want my credit card.

*Stomps off through the dark underbrush wearing stinking sneakers*

MuseSwings said...

Margaret Ann - parallel lives! Spooky and fun. Thanks - about the pictures - most are from Flickr and I have the very bad habit of forgetting to mention that on my posts.

Oh, Debby! It was YOUR credit card Lavinia used for massive purchases today. She says is maxed out along with several others that she "borrowed". I can't say what the deal is with Grin Slickins - I think he left several pairs of Manolo Blahnik shoes under your sleeping bag. Did't you notice them when you were trying to go to sleep last night?

Debby said...

Who has time to sleep? All this shrieking and running around, shoe boxes everywhere, clinking cutlery, you and Blicky accepting preferential treatment from Grin, camp fires needing tended, multiple pots of tea...I'm not doing this again, muse swings! No more campouts with your crew. And furthermore, I've discovered the only thing that I'm truly terrified of is Lavinia getting her beautifully manicured hands on my credit cards.

Lavinia said...

Text from Lavinia to Debby: To lat. Crd maxd ot. I said sory. It was all a accident. C U wen I gt bac frm Fiji. 2009.