Saturday, December 20, 2008

Mmmmm! The Muse Swings' Gingersnaps!

I mentioned gingersnap cookies - that I used to make - in yesterday’s post. These are by far the most delightful gingersnaps of all. They are small, thin, crunchy, melt in your mouth cookies. You can make the dough ahead of time and freeze until ready to bake. Baked cookies can be stored for about a month in the freezer or in a cool dry place in airtight tins.
They collect moisture rather quickly, so you may not get the best results in the humid southern states as you get in the dry cold northern states. I always doubled the recipe – which makes hundreds - and gave them as gifts, took some to parties and still had plenty to fill plates for the holidays at home.

The Muse Swings’ Gingersnaps

1 ½ cups dark brown sugar
¼ cup dark molasses
1 egg
1 cup butter melted and slightly cooled
2 2/3 cups sifted flour
2 tsp ginger
1 ½ tsp ground cloves
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
1 ½ tsp baking soda
3/8 tsp salt

sugar for dipping

Combine sugar and molasses and egg in large bowl and mix well. Beat in butter, stir in flour, spices baking soda and salt.

Turn dough out onto waxed paper and shape into logs about 5/8th inch in diameter. Freeze until hard. Can be made a day or two ahead.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put about ¼ inch of sugar in small plate for dipping. Lightly grease baking sheets. Remove 1 log from the freezer.

Slice log in ¼ inch slices, dip both sides in sugar to coat thoroughly and set about ¾ inch apart on baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned but still soft – about 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to racks. (a paper lined table will do). Cool thoroughly and then store in airtight containers. Can also be stored up to 1 month ahead of time in freezer bags, in the freezer.


Recipe makes lots of little delightful cookies.


You may also want to serve these with Cream Cheese Pumpkin desert dip.


Cream Cheese Pumpkin Desert Dip

1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1 jar (7 oz.) JET-PUFFED Marshmallow Creme
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

MIX all ingredients until well blended; cover. Refrigerate several hours or until chilled. Serve.

Enjoy!

17 comments:

larkswing said...

They both sound great - but the dip has my mouth watering! yum!

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

*laughing* Of course, I came hungry! I'm salivating!

Anonymous said...

I am going to try both. Thank you!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

This looks delish! Thank you so much! I lived in Florida for many years and yes, humidity is definitely a factor in baking.

Hippie Family... said...

YUM! I have a weakness for ginger.. I add extra to my cookies. Do you have Trader joes by you? they have the best ginger cookies ever!

MuseSwings said...

These are rally good! You'll love them! Hippy - I usually add extra ginger too. We don't have trader Joe's here - I'll check them out on line.

Thanks for backing me up there, Martha! The cookies I tried to make just puffed up turned light brown. No crunch - so I don't make them anymore. I put them in baggies they minute they were cool, but that did't work. Maybe a blowtorch.....

Suzy-Q said...

I cheated and used Betty Crocker mix. Uncle Joe swears I may have made them too crunchy. I don't usually eat Gingerbread so I don't know. I think the crunchy ones lend themselves to a nice cuppa coffee though!

The pumpkin dip looks deeeevine!

steviewren said...

Gingersnaps and molasses cookies are two of my favorites. If I get finished with present wrapping, Christmas present scrapbook making, total house cleaning....etc...I am going to try these cause you have made my mouth water.

MuseSwings said...

Jo - the crunchy ones a perfect with coffee or tea. Stevie good luck with all the things you have to do! We're always so busy this time of year! Somehow everything gets done - or at least enough that we call it a day at some point.

ChaChaneen said...

I did 7 different doughs yesterday and now I'm out of most ingredients, will have to the store again for basics. I printed out your recipe though because I definitely am going to try it for Valentines day. I hate buying what I can cook at home and it usually tastes better too!

Oh that just gave me an idea! A Cupid's Arrow Blog day! Hmmm, has Lavinia come out of hiding yet?

Betsy Brock said...

I love gingersnaps! And the dip is something I've never heard of...sounds wonderful with these cookies!

Sparky said...

[drool] [drool] Bad girl! There went my diet!
Sparky ♥ ∞

Blicky Kitty said...

Oh yummy! I can't wait to try them. I try to bake everything because I'm trying to reduce the amount of trash we have to haul away. Easier to recycle packages of flour than ginger snap boxes *plus* I get to lick the bowl. The kids hate it and complain that mumma never gets them "store cookies." As soon as I get some actual sleep I'll post some recipes too!

Margaret Ann said...

Thanks for the delicious recipes...:)

"Yummo"...~Rachel Ray!

Shelley said...

That dip has some great ingredients - have to try that! thanks!

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Your post has inspired me to bake and whip up some goodies! Yours have made my mouth water! Can't wait!!! I hope your Christmas time is filled with lots of blessings and many merry memories! Thanks for the recipes! Katie

MuseSwings said...

Thank you all for stopping by and checking out the recipe! If you make cookies, let me know. I'll be right over!