Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Flying Conciatu Brothers




The Mister's Bro, Flyboy, flew in last night from the frigid north and - although we've had the 3 days and fish conversation - he's staying for a week. That's fine with me because his favorite pastime - like mine and the Mister's- is eating shrimp, grouper, and in general, anything that isn't tied down.




I asked what he would like to do today and the answer is: Eat lots of shrimp. Cool. Sign me up.




I have 42 pounds of Christmas cookies, pecan bark dark AND milk chocolate, some Polish poppy seed cake, several bags of Hershey Kisses and a giant stick of Summer Sausage to tide us over between meals. I have a tree full of ripe oranges for a dose of vitamin C so we don't get rickets. Christmas is happening!



Flyboy is also going to make the Romanian version of crepes, called klatita, for us tomorrow. Last year we filled them with guava paste and cream cheese - a heavenly combination.



Later we'll attend the Christmas Eve service and then have dinner at Angelino's. We've been doing this for several years now so, I guess, it is a family tradition. The faces and number of family and friends at Christmas eve dinner have changed considerably over the 7 or 8 years. The time and the place are the only things that have remained constant.



Thinking back, all of our Christmas traditions have changed so much over the years. New ones replace the old with the passing of family members, the moving about of others and the growing up of children. We do not grieve for those traditions that no longer are part of our lives. Those are good memories of Christmas Past. We accept and embrace the new.







This, my first Christmas in Blogland, I celebrate and embrace a new tradition with many, many new friends in the world of blog! I love that I can fly around the world faster than Santa every day to visit you! I love your posts, your comments, your encouragement, your art, poetry, pictures, sense of humor and the special bond that we all share. I especially love our adventures, and look forward to the next. I wish you all a wonderful and blessed Christmas!




From my blog to yours:




20 comments:

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Merry Christmas to you, too!

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

I share your philosophy about Christmas traditions. Life goes on!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Sparky said...

Merry Christmas to y'all too.
Sparky ♥ ∞ and Wiregrass Steve

ChaChaneen said...

Angelino's for dinnner ~Mmmm sounds Italian?! Have a lovely dinner and visit with your Bro-in-law. I too have enjoyed visiting you and your blog and look fordward to 2009! Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year to you and your family!

Devoted said...

If everyday is an adventure shouldn't holiday traditions be as well? Our traditions are chaning as well now that we have grandchildren. I share your sentiments on the blogosphere and the new friends so recently made. God bless you and yours this Christmas...and enjoy that wonderful Florida weather. It's cold and icy here!

Marie Reed said...

Hi Lady! Forget Christmas.. My birthday is on the 25th too:)

Jane In The Jungle said...

It is awesome isn't it, to meet and get to know so many people no matter where you are! And I have enjoyed meeting you Muse. Ya'll have a Merry Christmas!!

Linda said...

Have a blessed Merry Christmas!!!♥

Pat said...

Really lovely post! (42 pounds of Christmas cookies? Wooo--I'll be right over.) I like shrimp too...and Italian food.

I send you as many Christmas wishes as your caloric intake.

Debby said...

WAIT!!!! You caved????? You gave into the nagging of GC and baked cookies at the last minute?!!!!

Man. I thought you were made of stronger stuff than that...

*sniffs disdainfully*

Merry Christmas, Muse, and for your wonderful gift of laughter!

Betsy Brock said...

Wow...when you finally set your mind to baking cookies, you really get into it! :) Our family traditions have changed a lot over the years, too. And you're right...it's best just to embrace the new ones! Merry Christmas! :)

Tara Bennett said...

MMmmmmm you had me at crepes. I've never had Romanian crepes specifically, but I'm sure they're delightful!

I hope you have yourself a Merry little Christmas!

Thanks for supporting kidz,
Tara

Anna Lefler said...

Right back at you, my dear. I'm proud to call you my bloggy friend!

Have a wonderful Christmas and talk soon...

Hugs,

Anna

Nihal said...

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and joyful holiday season to you and yours, dearest Cynthia.
Warm greetings~

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Edward and I send our best wishes to you for a most Happy Christmas!!

soulbrush said...

and wishing you and the mister and flyboy a very yummy and simply fantastical xmas. bingle bingle jells and all that too. hugs.

Margaret Ann said...

With all the delightful descriptions of the yummy food at your house for the holiday you neglected to mention the heavenly buns shown in the first photograph! OOOOOh MY my, my, MYYYY! :)

You are amazing...coming to your blog is like unwrapping that a present under the tree...thanks for your words and images...:)

marianne said...

Merry Christmas Cynthia!

Annelie said...

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!