Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Go Red Wings!

The Detroit Red Wings won last night and are on their way to the next set of playoffs. Excellent!

I've been out and about - even went to a party Saturday night! It is difficult to be a hermit - but I keep working on it. I live in a quiet suburb - Palm Harbor, Florida - with a pond that is filled with turtles, fish, an occasional gator and plenty of other wildlife. My bird list is a long one. If you don't have a bird list - start one!

The folks in my neighborhood tend to live out of the backs of our homes - kitchen, family room and pool. The days of knowing my neighbors other than to say hi are non-existent. Guess what - I'm fine with it. Neighborhood watch? As long as there's something going on in the back yard, I'm right on it. I have plenty of contact with the outside world and enjoy not having folks pop in to borrow a cup of sugar. You can't choose your neighbors, but you can choose your friends. I don't have a fence, and I don't keep the shutters closed. I just don't feel the need to hang with the neighbors and they all seem to feel the same.

It rained yesterday for about 67 seconds and again today - for about 5 minutes - after a long drought. I should say sprinkled. You can actually hear rain. There wasn't enough rain to change the attitude of my grapefruit tree - just enough to remind us that water does fall from the sky now and then. Speaking of drought, I smell smoke every few days from the fires across the state and south of us. When I first came to Florida I was surprised by the frequent dry spells and the frequent fires. Now it's a fact of life, but that doesn't stop me from watching the clouds and checking the weather radar to see if we have a chance of rain. Yesterday I told the mister that it would start raining in 10 minutes. He scoffed at the thought. It rained 10 minutes later. Like I said, I keep an eye on things.

I watched the 1953 movie, Titanic, yesterday - with Barbara Stanwyck and Clifton Webb. The costumes were too 1950's - I hate when that happens. Put away the shoulder pads, Barbie - there weren't any in 1912. The Stanwyck character was taking her children to live in Mackinac, Michigan. Someone forgot to do the research - the characters kept calling it Mackinac - it's pronounced Mackinaw if you are really from the U.P.

As I mentioned in my first post, I saw Baby Mama a few days ago. It was a hoot. A little predictable, but a very enjoyable movie. Go see it. Enjoy. Go Red Wings!

No comments: