Friday, October 22, 2010

Postcard Friendship Friday - Autumn Leaves




Autumn

by C. Klein

This beautiful still life of autumn caught my eye. I love the colors, the structure of the scene and those wonderful luminous blackberries. I tossed aside all thoughts of other possible posts when I came upon this lovely picture that has captured the essence of autumn. Catherine Klein was a German-born artist, born in 1861, who is well known for her gouche (opaque watercolor) paintings of flowers. She became known as the "Rose Lady" although she also painted birds and fruits in a very naturalistic way.

The word, Autumn, comes from the Old French and refers to advanced maturity followed by a decline. This is why older folks are often described as being in the autumn of their years.

Eva Cassidy should not have been -but was- in the autumn of her years when - at age 33 - she sang this sweet and clear rendition of Autumn Leaves.





In the autumn of 1909, Frances sent this lovely postcard to her friend Phoebe. Phoebe had recently moved to Moston Lane, Moston which is a district of Manchester in NW England.






Colorful Autumn Leaves




Sweet Autumn Leaves




After Autumn Leaves



For more Postcard Friendship Friday stop by Beth's The Best Hearts Are Crunchy


7 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

I thoroughly enjoyed every word in this blog this morning--and the postcard is just lovely.

I like the beauty of the leaves--as though someone had just gathered them together and put them into a vase.

I loved hearing about this wonderful artist!

Happy PFF!

viridian said...

The postcard picture is so beautiful.
I like to closing line too - "your affectiate friend". people don't write like that anymore, do they?

Beth Niquette said...

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for that recommendation!

I felt so embarrassed when that woman implied I stole an image of an public domain postcard from her site. I would never knowingly do such a thing.

And then how to respond with gracious words. Thanks again, my dear.

Joy said...

How clever was Catherine Klein this captivating composition sums up autumn. Brrr trying not think about the implication of the last photo.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

The postcard is a beauty. I found it especially interesting because my in-laws lived not far away. Phoebe lived very close to a large park called Boggart Hole Clough. The name always fascinates me.

Beth Niquette said...

Thank you for the suggestion concerning CardCow! The owner also wrote to me giving me blanket permission to use anything I found on there. Thanks again. ((hugs))

Dorincard said...

I really like your blog, in which you put so much dedication. :)