Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Poetry Bus - Bender Defender

I'm hopping on board - late - even later than usual. Our host is The Stammering Poet, Peter Goulding, and he has given us these prompts:

In a nutshell, I am looking for
1) An ode to pancakes in the persona of a poet of your choice
2) Something (or things) I did while drunk, or
3) A rondeau.



Prompts one and three would have caused brain stem damage or worse, so I dove for number 2 - even though I've laid off the drink of my youth. Which wasn't much to begin with. So I had to use my poetic license - the one that isn't suspended. Bottoms up:


Bender Defender

I Thought that I would be just fine

If I drove right on the middle line

Down the empty two-way country road

I was toolin’ right along at 50

And thought I was being nifty

Feeling very happy and quite bold

Then I saw the flashing blue light bar

Catching up to my ole car

Bidding me to pull aside

So I parked right at the gutter

While thinking what lie I could utter

To gain an un-ticketed ride

I saw his name tag, Pat O’Brien

He asked - little lady where you flyin?

And what’s causing you to drive so badly?

I said, to church, uhm, that’s the thing

So I can pray and I can sing

But I’ll be late now I sighed, sadly

Ah, Me dear mother Brigitte

Would think of me an eedjit

If I made you miss your Sunday Mass

Go! Take the bread, but NO more wine

And thank the Lord that you are fine

Cuz it’s Friday but I’ll let you take a pass


Cynthia Ann Conciatu

5 comments:

Peter Goulding said...

And there was me thinking what a brilliant excuse! I can even forgive you the Brigitte / eejit rhyme for that! Nice one Cynthia, hop aboard.

Totalfeckineejit said...

Ha! A ripping yarn! And you even got an Eejit in there!

Helen said...

Officer Patrick O'Brien ... a good Catholic boy was he!

Padhraig Nolan said...

Praise the Lord and pass the Porter! :-)

Lolamouse said...

Good one! I was wondering what excuse you were going to give to the cop! All I could think of was that you were in labor! Ha! Thanks for visiting my blog!