Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Pretty Exciting Day For A Hermit

Wow! You're Still Alive! Congratulations!


I had a pretty exciting day for a hermit. I was on my way to help out at the church office, and made my obligatory stop at Starbuck's. The store is being redone on the outside, and each time I stop, there is something new and different going on the impede my progress. Today they had the entire front of the store blocked off and some burly guys were busy doing something to the parking lot that created some nasty dusty smoke. I had to park next door and then hold my breath while I entered the side door. When the cashier took my order I coughed (politely, of course) to indicate it was no easy matter finding my way in. Having to breath probable carcinogens in order to get a cuppa joe is not a pleasant thing.

I was waiting for my drink (trying to think of several good excuses about why I was going to set a new record for being late at church) when another customer popped in front of me for a refill. The what do you call those coffee making people? barristas? set my drink down on that teeny tiny counter and the person immediately snagged it and went over to the sugar and straw station. I asked the barrister if that was my drink that she had just place on the counter - it was - so she had to remake it, thereby giving me an extra excuse for being late. Certainly more believable that the others. It's volunteer work, so I'm not going to get fired or anything, but I like to put my ducks I mean my excuses in a row. Whatever. Then I had to make my way through the smoke and dust to my car. By now there were several cars trying to figure out where to park with all the construction work going on. Starbucks people get grumpy where there isn't easy caffeine access. Lots of beeping of horns and squealing of tires. Get over yourselves, I say.




Caroline and Jessica shopping -probably at my Books-a-Million


Prior to my Starbucks adventure I was stopped at the light at Alderman and US 19. The light that keeps you waiting for something like 39 minutes. There was a little red Volkswagen convertible next to me with the top down (Was too - this is Florida) and a Spay/Neuter license tag. Did too. We have thousands of different tags here in Florida). I swear the driver was Caroline Kennedy. Could've been. You weren't there. I was about to roll my window down and give her a high five for the Senate seat thing, but she was busy putting on mascara and I know how much I would hate being interrupted during rush hour beauty treatments so I just winked knowingly and continued my wait at the light.


SPOILER ALERT! Before you move on let me warn you the next picture is of a snake, and I know some people who are so afraid of snakes they don't even want to look at pictures of them. If that's the case, either pop over to someone else's blog right now or close your eyes and scroll down, whichever.






I had the opportunity to hold a python today. A very small one , maybe 2 1/2 feet. Much too small to think of me as lunch. The owner (if anyone can truly own a snake) said this brand - I mean species - will only grow to 5 feet. Only. The snake was fine with me holding him/her/it. He felt like a really expensive pocketbook.

I have an acquaintance who is so terrified of snakes, not only will she not look at pictures of them, she calls 911 any time she sees one in her back yard. This is Florida! The 911 people just love her to death. She told me about a non-mutual friend who bought a rubber snake, thinking 'Fraid a Snakes Person might get over her fear if she would just hold the rubber snake. She whipped it out of her pocketbook and flapped it in the air. 'Fraid a Snakes Person almost died on the spot. Not a good plan.

So that's it. Just some random thoughts about my day. How's your day going so far?

15 comments:

Sparky said...

Geez, my day is practically non-existant compared to yours! Caroline Kennedy, 'ey? And how much "caffeine" have you had?? [lol] ♥ ∞

MuseSwings said...

Yah, Spark - I'm just sure it was her. Caffeine? Is my eye twitchy? If not, not enough.

steviewren said...

I think I saw Brad and Angie today at the local Toys R Us. They had a buggy full of educational toys.

ChaChaneen said...

Well that was darn funny! Especially the Starbucks part~

Now as for Caroline huh? Yep, it's completely possible. Mascara and all! Does she open her mouth when she puts on? ha ha I remember laughing out loud when I read that in a magazine once and sure enough I pretended I was putting it on and instantly my jaw dropped. ha ha ha

Well as for me, I was busy, busy doing work before I have my glorious 2 weeks of vacation!

Thanks for the fun!

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

You have an exciting life. I must jump over and post about how boring I am compared to you. I hope you don't mind.

MuseSwings said...

Stevie - maybe they hooked up with Caroline later and had lunch!
Janeen 2 weeks of vacation - in a row? Fantastico! Enjoy.
Nana - Maybe I just use more adjectives. Yeah - that's the ticket. I read your post - it's great!

Devoted said...

Interesting...very interesting....coffee, celebs, church and critters...sounds like and adventure!

Debby said...

I haven't seen Caroline, gone for Starbucks coffee, or held a python. I guess my day sucked...

(Not really. Got most of my Christmas shopping done which is a load off my mind. I'm less 'jangly'. Today was a big improvement. For everyone.

Kat Mortensen said...

Wonder what would happen if you slapped a rubber snake down on the ol' Starbucks counter? Huh?

Kat

MuseSwings said...

Kat! My first laugh of the day award goes to you!

Deb and Devoted - it was so exciting I probably should have taken a nap. But I blogged instead.

Kat Mortensen said...

Glad to be of service, Cynthia. That's how my brain works these days.

Kat

ChaChaneen said...

That is hilarious! Please take a photo of the barista's when you do! ha ha You can tell them it's for a very important blog report. Yeah, that's it. Snakes vs. Starbucks I think it has a ring to it. Hear it.. sssss! Ssssss***! ha ha

Ragamuffin Gal said...

You take the cake for the most whimsical random blog I have read today. Only a fellow Starbucksaholic would understand the great obstacles we will hurdle for the cup of warm joe. You are definitely not a hermit yet. Blessings

Barely Domestic Mama said...

The 'Fraid of Snakes lady made me crack up. I am originally from Florida. I have chased a few snakes out of my yard and vice versa they have chased me out of my yard. I'm not a holder of snakes, but I definitely don't mind checking them out as someone else is holding them or they are behind a thick plate of glass.

Linda said...

AND....I swear..a fat, old jolly elf visited here today and dropped off more packages.rofl

Cool blog..I just love coming here.